by Ernest Thompson Seton
The Degree of Camp Doctor may be conferred on any one who takes eighteen out of these
tests (the first four being required)
1. Demonstrate the Schaefer method of resuscitation.
2. Pass first-aid tests of Red Cross Society, or other standard.
3. Know how to treat for bad sunburn.
4. Know poison ivy, sumac, oak, etc., and the proper treatment for cases of poisoning
5. Carry a person down a ladder.
6. Bandage head and ankle.
7. Tell the best remedy for skunk smell and bee stings.
8. Describe treatment for body lice and fleas.
9. Describe the treatment for hives and ringworm.
10. Show treatment for bite by mad dog or poisonous snake.
11. Demonstrate rescue of person in contact with electric wire.
12. Apply tourniquet to a principal artery.
13. Describe in detail the proper care of the teeth.
14. What medical outfit would you take for a month's sojourn in the wilderness? Why was
each article chosen?
15. Be able to tell the difference in effect of a cold and hot bath.
16. Tell how to care for the feet on a march.
17. Describe the effect of walking as an exercise.
18. Know how to treat sprains.
19. Tell the effect of over-exercise.
20. State the chief causes of tuberculosis, typhoid and malaria.
21. Tell what should be done to a house which has been occupied by a person who has had
a contagious disease.
22. Describe the best methods of disposing of garbage, and the evil effect of flies.
23. Tell how a camp should protect its foods: milk, meat, and exposed foods.
24. Tell how to plan the sanitary care of a camp.
25. Know what wood herbs, etc., or camp staples will produce sweat, purge, vomit, or
warmth; what will make a quick poultice, which will check diarrhea.
26. Make, use, and teach others to use, the Indian Sweat Lodge.
For "How To" Information, See: The
Birch Bark Roll