B-P's Scout Journeys
The Second Class Journey
Go on an eight-mile daytime Journey (minimum) with at least three other Scouts. Your Patrol Leader will set your route, and a specific objective will be given. Make an oral report from notes to your Patrol Leader immediately upon your return. Your Scoutmaster must know your hiking route, and must approve your plan in advance. If additional Scouts are taking the test, each will report independently.
The First Class Journey
Go on foot, with three other Scouts, on a 24-hour journey of at least 15 miles.
Make all the necessary advance preparations, and organize the packing of food and gear.
In the course of the journey, you must cook your own meals, at least one of which must include meat or a protein substitute.
Find a campsite and camp for the night.
You must carry out any instructions given by the examiner as to things to be observed on route.
Make a log of your journey sufficient to show you have carried out those instructions, and submit it within one week of your return.
Scout Cord Explorer Proficiency Badge
Arrange and carry out an expedition for yourself and at least 2 other Scouts, of not less that 2 days and 1 night duration to a place you are not familiar with. All equipment to be carried in backpacks and to include food. Each backpack to weigh not more than 30 lbs.
Bushman's Cord Venturer Proficiency Badge
Make a journey of at least 32km (20 miles). on foot or by boat, with not more than 2 other Scouts. Route must be one with which the Scout is not familiar and should, if possible, include stiff country. Sleep out, using only the gear carried in a rucksack. Maximum weight 14 kg (31 lbs) which must include food. The Examiner may set the candidate 1 or 2 tasks, which require a specific report but no general log of the journey is required.
Bushman's Cord Hiker Proficiency Badge (Optional)
Take part in 3 hikes, during each of which gear is carried and you sleep out, distance of 2 hikes to be at least 10 miles each. The distance for the third hike to be not less than 30 miles, with 2 nights camping out. Detailed logs of very high standard to be handed in after each hike.
King's Scout Senior Explorer Proficiency Badge (Optional)
- Take part in an expedition with not less and not more than 5 other Scouts. The expedition may be on foot, boat, or on horseback.
- The expedition must be planned to last at least 4 days, and at least 3 nights must be spent in tents. All necessary equipment and food must be taken and all meals prepared by members of the party.
- All Scouts in the party will take an equal part in the planning arrangements before and during the expedition, but it is not necessary that all participants should be under test.
- A detailed log of the expedition must be kept be each member of the party, having previously agreed between themselves a different emphasis for each log - eg weather, geography, history, architecture, archaeology, botany, ornithology.
- The route and special log subjects must have the prior approval of the examiner.
- An expedition on foot will cover at least 50 miles in wild country. The 3 nights will be spent at different campsites.
- An expedition by water will cover at least 50 miles and the log will cover such points as the state of the river, conditions of banks, obstructions to navigation etc.
- An expedition on Horseback will cover at least 120 miles in wild country, camping at 3 different camp sites.
- An expedition, whether on foot or otherwise, must be a test of determination, courage, physical endurance and a high degree of co-operation among those taking part.
When you place an order with Amazon.Com using the search box below, a small referral fee is returned to The Inquiry Net to help defer the expense of keeping us online. Thank you for your consideration!
To Email me, replace "(at)" below with
If you have questions about one of my 2,000 pages here, you must send me the
"URL" of the page!
This "URL" is sometimes called the "Address" and it is usually found in a little box near the top of your screen. Most URLs start with the letters "http://"
The Kudu Net is a backup "mirror" of The Inquiry Net.
Last modified: October 15, 2016.